PDA

View Full Version : The best commentators??

John
28th May 2003, 11:43 AM
Not who is the best commentator but who makes the best commentator - is it a professional commentator or an ex-driver.
As far as I'm aware:
This year - Ben Edwards is a commentator and Tim Harvey is an ex-driver
Last year was the same but with Will, Kelvin and Chris Goodwin as the ex-drivers
Before that we had an ex-driver in Charlie and an ex-F1 driver in Watty
And of course before that was Murray and Charlie or just Murray.

In F1 in recent years there's been James Allan (commentator) and Martin (driver), Murray and Martin and Murray on his own.

Personally I think the best choice is a combination of the two with someone like Murray or Ben telling us whats happening and then someone like Martin or Tim giving some insight from a driver's perspective.

Any thoughts?! :confused:

Claw
28th May 2003, 12:05 PM
Kelvin Burt sends me to sleep. He's got no tone in his voice. Sounds like Will Self...

Les
28th May 2003, 12:42 PM
Tim's doing a grand job and I especially like the added bits of gossip he puts in... ;)

Le Mans
28th May 2003, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by John

Personally I think the best choice is a combination of the two with someone like Murray or Ben telling us whats happening and then someone like Martin or Tim giving some insight from a driver's perspective.

Any thoughts?! :confused:

I agree completely, a combination is best. I think Tim Harvey is really good, he seems a natural and obviously loves his racing and talking about it. Considering the commentary is live it is brilliant. On Monday when Neal went off Harvey said "Puncture! Neal has got a puncture!" even before the car had reached the gravel. There was no way you could see the punctured tyre, he just knew from experience that the 'off' was caused by a blowout. His description of Muller's driving style was so good too.

John
28th May 2003, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by Les
Tim's doing a grand job and I especially like the added bits of gossip he puts in... ;)

And the comments about some of the.... erm... older drivers - like about Reid on the ITV coverage of Brands :D

Reynard
28th May 2003, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by Claw
Kelvin Burt sends me to sleep. He's got no tone in his voice. Sounds like Will Self...

Excuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuse me... :mad:

Kel is quite shy and introverted so he probably doesn't come across as well as say Charlie Cox - so cut him a bit of slack in that respect, please.

At least Kel knows what he's going on about however, which is far more than can be said for some drivers who have gotten behind the mike... He did a lot of fantastic work for BMP during the broadcasts for the 2001 British GT series and I certainly wouldn't say that he sends me to sleep.

I've learnt a hell of a lot by listening and talking to Kelvin - there's a lot more to him than he lets on.

bramble
28th May 2003, 06:38 PM
Tim Harvey is brilliant, he seems so aware of whats going on and you can tell he has a lot of experience. He and Ben make a great team.

John
28th May 2003, 07:27 PM
I'd rather he was out there racing the cars rather than talking about them though!

But yeah I agree I'm pleasantly surprised with his TV work.

Amanda
28th May 2003, 07:29 PM
Charlie Cox is my favourite BTCC commentator, he is brilliant! However, I do agree with all those who say Ben Edwards and Tim Harvey are doing a great job.

The Stig
28th May 2003, 08:48 PM
Former drivers make the best and most interesting commentators. TV people don't have much, if any, racing experience - ex racers often acquire TV presenting experience. Charlie Cox was great, some fantastic descriptive phrases and a natural passion for his subject. Martin Brundle is similar on the F1 shows. Tim Harvey is great, Touring Cars loss is certainly the viewers gain.

Amanda
28th May 2003, 08:51 PM
I would like to see Jason Plato commentate on the BTCC. It would be interesting to see what he has to say about our 'French Friend'!:p

Ann
28th May 2003, 09:01 PM
Commentators who really know the sport inside out are by far the best. That usually means an ex-driver but being an ex-driver by no means qualifies you as a good commentator. Mentioning no names but there have been some, in all honesty, quite embarrassing attempts!

Martin Brundle is, IMO, a commentating god managing to combine expert insight with a "tell it like you see it" attitude and wicked sense of humour.

I've only seen a video of the Mondello Motors TV coverage but from that it would appear that Tim is doing a good job too.

Darren Manning did a fine job with the support races at the British GP last year too!

Ann
28th May 2003, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by Amanda
I would like to see Jason Plato commentate on the BTCC. It would be interesting to see what he has to say about our 'French Friend'!:p

Oh yes! :D Would love to see / hear that one! :p

The Stig
28th May 2003, 09:09 PM
Ann, don't beat about the bush - tell us what you really mean. Seriously, Brundle is my favourite summariser in any sport, I completely agree with you. Summarisers who say what they see, are a rare breed. There should be loads more of them. The late James Hunt was in this mould. Brundle is similar but quite a lot more diplomatic.

Feel sure Jason Plato has too many manners and class to offer more than an objective opinion if he chose to summarise.

Amanda
28th May 2003, 09:11 PM
The Stig ~ you think so do you?! You don't know the Jason I know !!!!!!:D

The Stig
28th May 2003, 09:16 PM
Amanda, never had the privelage, as you know. In which case, if Jason does a television guest spot, please be sure to let me know. Looking forward to it already!

Reynard
28th May 2003, 10:10 PM
hahahahahaha :D

Stig - if you didn't know, Jason is known for saying exactly what he thinks, no beating around the bush etc... You'll get an honest-to-god opinion out of him but you're not necessarily guaranteed to like it.

With Jason, it is WYSIWYG ;)

Alan
28th May 2003, 10:33 PM
Well it has to be Charlie Cox - but have to say Tim Harvey is growing on me.

Anyone remember Raymond Baxter? No neither do I really (even I am not that old :eek: ) but I gather he was very good.

Stuart
29th May 2003, 12:41 PM
I had a crack at doing a pre-race build up for our championship race at Cadwell Park last year. The idea was that I would know all about the championship and could speak authoritatively about it.
I had a couple of hours notice but I can tell you it's incredibly hard. The race commentator handed me the microphone and walked off! I had to talk for about 15 minutes "off the cuff" as the cars sat on the grid while a barrier was sorted out.
I have complete respect for any driver willing to do it on TV - just talking to a crowd of a few hundred was hard enough, although the team crews said it came across ok...:(

I personally think John Watson and David Leslie do an excellent job, although Martin Brundle has to be the master!

The Stig
29th May 2003, 10:24 PM
Alan, just digressing slightly, wasn't Raymond Baxter involved with early Top Gear programmes (with William Woollard) and more lately, Tomorrows World ?

Alan
29th May 2003, 10:32 PM
That's the man!!! This is going back a long way mind you.:)

Ed- the MG fan
2nd Jun 2003, 11:45 AM
My vote has to go to Carlron Kirby!