PDA

View Full Version : ASCAR on 27th July

Amanda
23rd Jul 2003, 09:58 AM
We are going to Rockingham on Sunday for the ASCAR meeting, it will be the second one we have been to this year. I just wondered who else was planning to be there.

Claire
23rd Jul 2003, 01:18 PM
Me, but then you knew that!! Looking forward to it seems like ages since we were last there and it was a bit of a crash fest. Fingers crossed that the weather holds and we get two good races although I have read they can now race in the wet. :D

bramble
23rd Jul 2003, 06:04 PM
Who won't be there! They are expecting a capacity crowd, and big parking problems.

Hope you season ticket holders have your VIP passes ready!

It's good to see that they will race in the wet, using an infield variation, however the Trucks will still use the oval. So if it rains there should still be some good oval racing.

Theres also a mascot race - that should be very funny!

Reynard
23rd Jul 2003, 06:41 PM
I'll be there of course - but on the other side of the spectator fencing - taking photographs for Gforce Images and Deuce Racing.

It looks to be an entertaining weekend on all counts, but at least at the far end of the circuit I can't hear the bands - I much prefer the pure music generated by a gridful of V8s :D

Claw
23rd Jul 2003, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by bramble
Who won't be there!

Me

touring fan
23rd Jul 2003, 07:29 PM
I'm going and looking forward to some more great action (hopefully just overtaking though, I hate seeing those cars going into the wall).
How many mascots do you think will complete the whole lap?:D

Paul Rayner
23rd Jul 2003, 11:46 PM
It's good to see that they will race in the wet, using an infield variation, however the Trucks will still use the oval. So if it rains there should still be some good oval racing.
It'll be interesting to see exactly when they draw the line for this - whether they'll wait to see if the track dries out a bit, or just go on the infield if the track's wet at the time the race is meant to start.

I'd love to watch ASCARs this year, but every meeting clashes with Formula Renault, so this weekend I'll be at Donington. I've got my tickets booked for F3/GT/Seats next weekend though - 5 tickets for £5. Nice.

Stuart
24th Jul 2003, 12:23 PM
Sounds like I might be a bit lonely on Sunday at Donington!
I'm off to the DTM, which are supported by the Group C cars - does it get any better?
There just aren't enough weekends in the year - I'm in grave danger of not getting to an ASCAR thrash at all this year which is not good.

I must admit this weekend was a tough choice, but the thought of seeing the best touring car driver in the world (Bernd Schnieder) and the greatest ever racing car (Porsche 962c) on the same programme is too much to resist.

Amanda
24th Jul 2003, 01:43 PM
Stuart ~ there is an extra ASCAR round, due to the number of races that have been missed due to bad weather etc. I think it is on 31st Aug. Perhaps you can get to that one, it would be great to see you!

Paul Rayner
25th Jul 2003, 12:16 AM
Where's that been announced, Amanda? Just checked the Rockingham site, and all that's listed for ASCAR after this weekend is August 24th (BTCC at Brands), and September 28th (When I could go to, but I'll be back at uni then, and it's a bit far)

If they're racing on August 31st I think I'd probably go to that!

Amanda
25th Jul 2003, 10:21 AM
Paul ~ Reynard told me and I have also seen a thread about it on another website, saying there will be one race on Sunday 31st Aug. I have just checked the Rockingham site and there is still nothing on there!

Amanda
25th Jul 2003, 08:39 PM

Theres also a mascot race - that should be very funny!

According to Autosport there will be 26 mascots and they are going to race round the oval in non motorised vehicles!

Paul Rayner
27th Jul 2003, 11:51 PM
So who won the mascot race then? They only seem to have the report from the ASCAR race on Rockingham's site, and there's nothing on MST..... ;)

bramble
28th Jul 2003, 05:58 PM
Rocky the Rhino won on home turf! I think the standard of racing from the mascots was about the same as the ASCAR drivers. That 5 car smash on Turn 1 should never have happened.