Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What's Brands Hatch like for photography?

What's Brands Hatch like for photography?

Hi,

Firstly, new to this forum so hello everyone!

I'm hoping to go to the opening weekend of BTCC at Brands Hatch this year and plan to take many photos. I've never been to the circuit so wondering what it's like for photos, are there many places where I won't get a fence in front of the car? If possible, if people could add photos they've taken with photo details that would be great.

For those more technologically minded I'll be using a 55-250mm lens on a Canon 550D.

Thanks in advance,

Phil

Hi
    Firstly I would suggest an early start, you would probably need to arrive before 8 (gates open at 7) for a decent spot. If I'm not mistaken ticket sales have been the biggest ever so there's more incentive to turn up early.
    On the Indy circuit there's unfortunately not many areas without a fence in the way. They installed more last summer so it is now extremely difficult for photographers to get clear views. These spaces are at a premium but you can go over the footbridge up Hailwoods (just before Druids hairpin, after Paddock Hill Bend) and you can go up to the apex of Druids, that has always been popular for photographers.
    If you want a view of Paddock the only choice now is the outside- there's still fencing but it is much less of a problem than elsewhere.

There are little gaps in the fencing on the outside of Druids and all the way round at Clearways, but again you would need to be there promptly to guarantee a spot.

If you are going on the Friday or Saturday then that would be a good time to have a look around and choose where you want to sit on Sunday. In general though the Grand Prix circuit is a massive contrast- very little fencing and not as many people as you'd find in the Indy section.

Thanks for your detailed reply. I can only attend the Saturday so hopefully this will mean it won't be as busy. I'll have to have a good look at a map of the circuit to try and get me head around it all. Have you yourself taken any photos at the Brands Hatch Indy?

Thanks again.

The inside of Druids hairpin (over the bridge)
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/2531027...in/photostream
    Over by Clearways not far from the back of the MSV Centre building is a small hatch in the catch fencing.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/2531027...in/photostream

I'd also throw in the outside of Druids as well. If your lens will allow it, it might just fit between the mesh fencing so you can get pictures of them coming up the hill under the bridge and also coming round the bend if you're towards the end of the bend.

The hatch in the fencing just after Clearways is good as Mondeo mentioned, but if you fancy a little wander further round you can get a relatively clear shot of them coming round as there is/was no fencing all the way round. Thats what I did when I've been there, and its another place thats pretty popular with those of us with a descent zoom on our cameras.

All that is based on my experiences being there 4 times but I couldn't make it last time round due to a new job so someone will need to clarify if the fencing situation has changed or not in the last year.

Quote Originally Posted by pkwright41 View Post
    Thanks for your detailed reply. I can only attend the Saturday so hopefully this will mean it won't be as busy. I'll have to have a good look at a map of the circuit to try and get me head around it all. Have you yourself taken any photos at the Brands Hatch Indy?

Thanks again.
    Here are the fans' pics from last year to give you an idea what to expect - http://www.btcc.net/forum/showthread...pic-links-here

For the top of Druids you don't even have to be able to fit your lens through. Just line it up so the centre of the lens is looking through a gapin a postion where the cars are coming at you head on. Then keep the shutter speed quite high and you can get some nice head on shots of the cars with no fence! It's generally better here first thing and the sun is behind you and lights up through the windscreen nicely.

Also just around Clearways from the hatch in the fence is a gap between the catch fences where the rescue digger parks. You can get great panning shots there as the cars go past and get cars in the back ground as they come across the front of South Bank.

helps if you are tall but if not you could take a small stool then they are a lot more opportunities. Going up towards Druids, top of Druids, Clearways.
    Got the Championship champagne in 2012 with Huffy - what a star. Who is going to be a champion in 2013?

Yeah theres a low point in the fence when they come down paddock hill. You can get some good shots of them coming out of the 'dip' just above the fence.
    btccblueprints.co.uk

Firstly, thanks to everyone for the great comments and advice. For my first time to Brands Hatch I was really impressed with the circuit, just love how you can see a lot of the track from nearly any point on the way round.

Back to photos then, I absolutely loved taking them and am proud of what I have managed to take for my first time properly taking motorsport pictures.

My best 80 pictures can be found here: https://picasaweb.google.com/1140355...randsHatch2012

I would be very grateful if you could let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Phil

Pictures don't look too bad, glad to see you've clearly taken on board what we've said to you about where to get the best shots

Firstly, thanks to everyone for the great comments and advice. For my first time to Brands Hatch I was really impressed with the circuit, just love how you can see a lot of the track from nearly any point on the way round.

Back to photos then, I absolutely loved taking them and am proud of what I have managed to take for my first time properly taking motorsport pictures.

My best 80 pictures can be found here: https://picasaweb.google.com/1140355...randsHatch2012

Thanks,

Phil
    A great set, and for your first time you have every right to feel proud. I reckon you must have been standing near me for the Hamilton spin.

Thanks,

Phil
    Very good effort mate on those photos. What equipment are you using?!

Quote Originally Posted by Kingsley1991 View Post
    Very good effort mate on those photos. What equipment are you using?!
    Thanks. I was using a gripped Canon EOS 550D and a Canon 55-250mm IS Lens.